Wednesday, April 15, 2009

3 songs almost ready

Rob is leaving today for a 5 or 6 week tour, so it's up to me to put the finishing touches on the three songs we've been working on over the last month. I am planning to complete and release these three as an EP. Self-titled, perhaps. I dunno, we'll see what feels right at the moment.

By "release" I mainly mean that I will be sharing my work with my friends. By "friends" I mean a bunch of things, but what I don't mean is consumers of a product in the marketplace.

My wife, Jana, is a talented chef. The kitchen is her main studio. It's where her creative self comes alive, and it's where she finds the joy of skillful expression. She's a working mother with a full schedule, but almost every evening our little family gets to sit around the table together and eat something truly wonderful. Family and friends get to experience her talents quite often too. She has effectively changed the way several of them approach food and cooking, and inspired many to be more creative in the kitchen, just by doing what she loves. But in the terms of a market economy, her creative work is a horrible failure. I mean, goodness, we come out in the red year after year. In order for her work to be valued appropriately, it needs a larger economy than GDP.

That larger economy is the context in and for which I want to create, and I can only hope that the work of my hands is as successful as Jana's. I'm not making goods to be sold in the marketplace, I'm sharing pieces of my very soul around a table with people who come to my home, or invite me into theirs.

Yup, that's the long way of saying that three songs are almost ready for you to enjoy. If you're interested in bringing a bottle of wine or a salad, I could use some help with mastering : )





But for real, the table is open, you're free to bring just yourself and an appetite.

-cs

No comments:

Post a Comment